eSkyCity provides Dedicated Servers as a hosting option. In the future, we’ll provide a technical deep dive of our Dedicated Servers. For the sake of this article, we’ll be focusing on Dedicated Servers in general.
What is a Server?
Although a server comes in many forms, it can typically be characterized as a powerful computer that serves a specific purpose. Unlike a traditional desktop or laptop computer, servers can be used by more than one person at a time.
How is a Server Used?
Servers are used in many different ways. One of the most common uses is a web server. For a website to be accessible to everyone with Internet access, the website must be located, or stored, on a web server connected to the Internet. Every website you visit is located on one or more web servers.
What is a Dedicated Server?
A dedicated server is a server that’s reserved exclusively to one person or organization.
Dedicated Servers vs Shared Web Hosting
While there are many alternatives to dedicated servers, they are often an upgrade from shared web hosting. Shared hosting is where you pay to use servers that are shared by hundreds, or even thousands, of companies. Using the example of a web server, many companies share the same resources, so individual websites are often much slower and prone to problems on shared servers.
Key Benefits of Dedicated Servers:
- Performance: Because dedicated servers are dedicated exclusively to one person or company, the performance can’t be impacted by others. This means a faster, more predictable experience.
- Customization and Flexibility: Dedicated servers from hosting companies like eSkyCity can be customized to meet specific demands. This allows greater flexibility to meet specific requirements.
- Access and Control: Servers can typically be accessed from anywhere in the world, and dedicated servers allow for complete control. This means your dedicated server will be able to accommodate things like specific software or custom settings.
What Elements Make Up a Server?
There are several elements of a server. Here are the basics that typically determine the majority of what a server costs:
- Processor (or CPU): This is like the brain of a computer, where instructions or programs tell the computer what to do.
- Storage: This is typically one or more hard drives where information is stored.
- Memory (or RAM): This is where temporary information is stored that needs to be accessed more quickly than it could be on hard drives.
Where are Servers Located?
Servers can technically be located anywhere, including an office. However, servers are most often located with hosting companies, like eSkyCity, in facilities called data centers.
What is a Hosting Company?
A hosting company purchases and manages servers, and all the related equipment necessary to provide a hosting service. Hosting companies that sell dedicated servers are providing access to servers that are reserved only for you.
What is a Data Center?
A data center is a building that’s specifically designed to house thousands of servers in an environment that keeps them running properly 24/7/365. Most data centers have features like:
- Powerful Air Conditioners and Ventilators to keep temperatures low and servers cool enough to operate properly.
- Diesel Generators to provide a backup power source in the event of a power outage.
- Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPS), which are large battery units, to provide immediate power to equipment while diesel generators come online.
- Multiple Internet Connections to provide multiple paths to the internet, ensuring a problem with one Internet connection does not take your server offline.
- Physical Security to ensure only people with appropriate access are allowed inside.
Why Use a Dedicated Server from a Hosting Company Instead of Doing it Yourself?
When you purchase a dedicated server as a service from a hosting company, the arrangement works similar to a lease. You’re paying to use something that someone else owns and maintains. While it may seem cheaper to just buy a server, that’s usually not the best solution. Here are a few reasons why:
- The Right Facilities: Hosted servers are located in data centers, rather than offices or other unsuitable environments. This ensures that the servers are up and running properly, with less risk of having problems.
- It’s Expensive: A server and related equipment can be very expensive, depending on your requirements. However, that pales in comparison to the cost of operating the server in the ideal environment of a data center.
- Support & Expertise: Hosting companies manage thousands of servers daily, so they often have the expertise necessary to quickly address any problems that may arise, as well as provide assistance to answer complex questions.
- 24/7 Monitoring: Most hosting companies, like eSkyCity, manage their systems around the clock to ensure everything is working properly all day, every day.
If you would like to learn more about eSkyCity or our Dedicated Servers, visit our website, call us at 877-455-6157, or email [email protected].